Whats my jersey number on my football team?

Monday 15 November 2010

Norris 5 News Story and Analysis

Husband, in-laws acquitted of dowry death charges


When I read this, I was surprised by the headlines. Seriously? This still happens in my country? I was so surprised at this article, that at first I thought it was false and just made up. Things did change afterwards though. The article talks about how a husband and his parents murdered his wife due to financial issues. But according the Delhi's courts, the husband (Pankaj Raj) had spent excessively for the honeymoon. Some would obviously say that this story is weird. 
Husband, in-laws acquitted of dowry death charge
Informative or Superlative: Considering the fact that the article includes the who's, what's, where's, and why's, I would say this is an informative article. It includes the names of the people in the story and it elaborates on the story to a good extent. I'd definitely say that this article is informative. In fact, the story also talks about what happened after the death, and the witnesses as well. 
Accurate and Truthful vs False and Deceptive-- My first insight was that when there is a story of dowry's death, its false, especially in an urban city in India. But looking at it again, I think this article is truthful because these issues have happened everywhere in the world. It's a surprising story to me, but it's quite common to see a man murdering his wife because of financial reasons. I do think that there must be more of a reason to the murder though. 
Objective vs Biased--I think its biased. It doesn't mention about the husbands story. It mainly talks about the incident and why the husband murdered his wife. It also talks about the charges the husband and his family faces. But never talks about the husband or his family's view. The husband's side also doesn't have many quotes, but the court were told that the wife committed suicide. 
Pluralistic vs insular viewpoint--It was definitely insular. It only talks about the wife's story, and not much about the husbands story. 
Balanced vs weighted side--I think its on a weighted side. The article included much more about the wife's story, criticizing the husband.  The husband's story is not really shown in this article, and that's why I feel that the article is rather weighted and not balanced. 



1 comment:

  1. Falak,

    You have confused insular vs weighted here. Also, you need fo really chack through all your posts for grammar and mechanics. There are mammy needless errors..

    to improve, try to ref ere back to specifics (quotes and ideas) from what hou have read.

    Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete