Whats my jersey number on my football team?

Saturday 18 September 2010

The Corporation Conversation

I don't know about the rest of the world, but I find it really weird when I begin talking about something I learned in class into depth. It actually just happened yesterday, when Bahia and I were talking about the Corporation before Yom Kippur began. Now in my point of view, corporations are just doing business. I think what they are doing is absolutely legal and fine, because all they are really trying to do is make a living. A really big one. Yes, many times the product they sell aren't good for the health. Sometimes they sell milk that may be unhealthy, and many times they do things that will cause health problems when they know it. That part does anger me, but in reality, its how life works. Corporations are major companies that are trying to earn the biggest possible profit. Even if we hate it when the corporations produce unhealthy products, do child labor, and may give the lowest possible salaries, someday many of us are going to be doing the same. Its just how the world works today, and unless if the governments put regulations on corporations, things will be the same even when we are working. 
Now, Bahia thought differently. Bahia is not a fan of corporations. She said, "I think that its ridiculous the way almost everything is slowly falling into the hands of corporations as they are gaining more and more power". Bahia really hates how the corporations make such a negative impact on the health of people and environment, and that they only do it for their selfish profits. In addition, another reason why Bahia hates corporations is because they pay their labors 50 cents and sell their product for 12 dollars. Thats a major profit, and the corporations frankly take it just for themselves. 


Now those were our opinions, but then I frankly just told her, "you know Bahia, some day me or some of your other friends may own a corporation, and they might not even be healthy for the environment". And she simply replied, "then I would probably not like them". Then we got into an argument and I told her that thats just how life works and how you have to be responsible for your own problems, while she replied that its the powerful corporation who causes the world all the problems. It didn't end that well, but clearly we both had a very strong opinion about corporations. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Falak,

    I see you just posted this while I was checking your blog. What if it didn't have to be an either/or situation? Can corporations be required to produce socially responsible, environmentally friendly products? Consider what the largest carpet manufacturer said in the film, that not thinking this way is like taxation without representation (meaning, we are taking your children's generation, without them having a say. Is that fair? Just? ) Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete